Cart abandonment: 15 important statistics to know
Cart abandonment causes online retailers and e-commerce sites to lose money everyday. According to Baynard Institute, the average cart abandonment rate is 69.82%. That means that out of every 100 customers, 70 will abandon their cart and not make a purchase.
There are many reasons why online shoppers abandon their carts. This blog shares 15 statistics about shopping cart abandonment. Feel free to bookmark this post so you always have these statistics handy!
15 reasons for cart abandonment
1. The average shopping cart abandonment rate across all industries is 69.82% (source).
2. The average shopping cart abandonment rate differs by device, with mobile and tablets having the highest percentage of shoppers abandon their carts at checkout:
- Mobile: 85.65%
- Tablet: 80.74%
- Desktop: 69.75%
3. 48% of online shoppers abandon their carts due to extra costs (shipping, tax, fees) (source).
4. 24% of online shoppers abandon their carts because they were required to create an account (source).
5. 17% of shoppers abandon their carts because they found the checkout process too long and complicated (source).
6. 16% of shoppers abandon their carts if they couldn’t see or calculate the total order cost up-front (source).
7. 13% of online shoppers abandon their shopping carts if the website had errors or crashed (source).
8. 57% of online shoppers will abandon their carts if they’re forced to wait for it to load for 3 seconds or longer (source).
9. According to Forrester, cart abandonment causes e-commerce brands to lose a staggering $18 billion in yearly sales revenue (source).
10. 90% of Americans use online coupon codes (source).
11. 46% of buyers abandon their carts because a discount code doesn’t work (source).
12. 55% of people abandon their shopping carts if they have to re-enter their credit card or shipping information (source).
13. 17% of online shoppers abandon their cart due to lack of trust of the website (source).
14. 39% of mobile users abandon their shopping cart because of difficulty entering their personal information (source).
15. The average large-sized e-commerce website can gain a 35.26% increase in conversion rate through a better checkout design (source).
How to minimize cart abandonment
The statistics above prove that money is being left on the table. A digital experience platform, such as Glassbox, can help you minimize cart abandonment by giving you the tools to optimize digital customer experiences and drive greater conversion rates and improved profits. See how Glassbox is helping online retailers here.